The 2014 Rio de Janeiro Queen of Carnival has officially been selected, and thus the Carnival season: Letícia Guimaraes made it!
On November 8th, Rio de Janeiro oficial toursim body, RIOTUR, has selected the 2014 Queen of Carnival for the next season in a tough competition. The presentation had 8 candidates who had to respond questions from a qualified jury, and later they had a little more than one and half minute to show their samba dance routine. The following candidates where the 8 final Queen of Carnival contestants, and they performed on this order:
1) Leticia Guimaraes ( Selected for Queen of Carnival 2014 - Eleita Rainha do Carnaval)
2) Camila Macedo - Physical Education Teacher, 29 years old
3) Gracieli Chaveirinho, 31 years ( Elected 2nd Princess of Rio Carnival )
4) Luciana Conceição, Professional Samba Dancer
5) Carla Peixoto , 31 years, Athlete, Dentistry Student
6) Flávia Gaudêncio, 27 yrs, samba dancer, passista,
7) Nayra Elen, 18 years old, Stundent and Passista for Beija Flor Samba School
8) Clara Cristina Paixão ( Elected 1st Princess - 1ra Princesa).
The jury panel was composed by a mix of Carnival and samba specialists, journalists, and Directors of the Tourism organizations in Rio de Janeiro: Luis Gustavo Mostof, Selminha Sorriso ( all time Flag Bearer Winner of Beija Flor ) Felipe Campelo , Lorena Comparato, Sidney Rezende, Aydano André, Nando Cunha, Livia Moraes, and José Carlos Sá.
Follows below the prizes that were awared to the winners:
The winner (Queen of the Carnival) will receive a prize of R$ 20,000. The 1st and 2nd Rio Carnival Princesses, who also make up the court, also receive a prize of R$ 15,000 each.
For more see: www.brazilcarnival.com.br/
The 2014 Rio de Janeiro Queen of Carnival
Clara Cristina Paixão
Directors of the Tourism organizations in Rio de Janeiro_Luis Gustavo Mostof
José Carlos Sá
Life & Style